21 November 2008

Script updates

We're just a week away from shooting, but the script needs tinkering. So it's been tinkered with. For me the difficulty comes in imagining the painstaking, carefully choreographed creative process that is 'moving pictures'. I like to improvise, and suggest things on the fly. Cinema demands exactitude.

With Bernardo's help I think we're getting closer to a final version of the script that provides enough information to the audience, while leaving room for some thinking to be done by the viewer.

I maintain that spoonfeeding information is not the way to go. Art (and I think filmmaking is an art. It is? Good. Actually, let's go with craft.) The craft of filmmaking demands that the audience be able to participate actively in the experience. All good art (and craft) demands this of the viewer. Passivity is for reality television.

I may be overthinking this..

Anyway I think we're almost there. Riding a unicycle down that line that separates obfuscation from pandering.

No comments:

Post a Comment