17 November 2008

Writer’s Note – Ryan Millar


flun•ky also flun•key (fl ng k )
n. pl. flun•kies also flun•keys
1. A person of slavish or unquestioning obedience; a lackey.
2. One who does menial or trivial work; a drudge.

The idea for this script began as an offhand joke with a friend. I think I was complaining about the downsides of my (then-current) short-term contract. At least, I said, with slavery there are assurances of long-term employment. We laughed at the absurdity of security trumping freedom of choice and income. He challenged me to go further with the idea, saying, “There’s a script in that.” Never one to turn down a challenge, I wrote a first draft not long after.

As I was setting up the story, I was struck by how easy it was to conceive of this world. Each character acts in a perfectly rational, self-interested, and recognizable way, in other words – everything is normal. Except that, this world is a horrifying dystopia. As least, I hope it is. Because if it’s not, we’re way worse off than I though.

Developing this script from joke, to rough story, to polished draft, and finally into actual short film is a difficult and rewarding experience. Even more difficult (and possibly rewarding) than finding long-term employment. The dedication, encouragement, and belief in this project from everyone involved is truly heartening. Without the support of the other actors, the director and everyone else, this script may well have just remained a joke shared between friends. Instead, it has grown into a project that is both an end in itself, and a beginning.


No comments:

Post a Comment